Yesterday, N & I had 90-minute massages in order to relax, as well as get some knots & such worked out of our respective bodies. Unfortunately, the massages were late in the afternoon and did not permit what I felt to be sufficient recovery time before this morning's ride.
What was fortunate is that the ride went along familiar routes, not too far from home. When I knew, for certain, that I would not be able to finish the remaining 65 miles of the ride, the calvary was called, and N & Marzipan met me at a petrol station ten miles from home. That's how spent I was: Unable to pedal ten piddly miles.
Ten miles and one shower later, I was in bed and fast asleep. Narco Kitty did her thing extremely well.
While today was no party, ride-wise, it did provide some valuable insight for training.
- No deep tissue massages within 24 hours of a main event.
- Stretch the night before and the morning of an event.
- Heart rate monitors aren't the be all & end all for monitoring performance. If you'd like to buy mine, it's posted in the Slowtwitch classifieds.
- Always have an escape plan.
- Any day where you can learn something from your training, regardless of what the training involves, is a good one.