About This Blog

As time permits, in-depth musings on myriad subjects will be posted. Abbreviated adages will be announced via Twitter.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday Ride

This morning's ride almost didn't happen, but I am so glad it did.


Sadly, my circa 2002 Bicycle Heaven jersey is no more, and I was more than ten minutes late getting out the door due to said jersey (had it on & was almost rolling before noticing the zipper had exploded). After hammering it out to Walter's in hopes of making the rumored start time of 8:00 (got there at 8:04), I discovered that no one was quite ready; it was another ten or so minutes before we were rolling. Once as a group, we got going at a pretty quick pace in order to meet up with another cyclist on the other side of 10. However, due to the later start, I knew I would not be able to go on with them, so I peeled off early to head back in. Fifteen or so minutes after that, I caught sight of another cyclist ahead, though, because of this cyclist's mad cycling skills, it would be a long time before I could actually catch him (and when I did, it was out of his stopping for a traffic light).


Turned out the cyclist was Tony, with whom I'd not ridden in a month, and I kind of had him pegged when I got within 20 seconds of him. As do many others, Tony is fit to his bike in a specific manner and has a distinct cadence: EXTREMELY smooth (seriously: power generators could take lessons in stroke mechanics from this guy). Once I knew it was him, I felt better about not bridging the gap as quickly as I thought I would. Of course, had it not been for the aforementioned traffic light, I don't know if I ever would have caught him. Because of that smooth (and strong!) cadence, Tony is an extremely efficient rider. If only we could all be so awesome.


So, in spite of the demise of one of my favorite kits, it was a great day's ride, thanks to the group from Walter's house, and the unexpected treat of riding in with Tony.


Thanks for reading.

No comments: